Are you considering a possible career in Personal Training? Do love being fit and healthy, train regularly and think you have what it takes to help others achieve personal health and fitness goals? If yes, then this article is the bible to you as it will give you a true incite (in my opinion) to whether you honestly have what it takes to be a Personal Trainer.
Personal training is a very demanding, challenging, fun and extremely rewarding industry, but it is also an industry that will chew you up and spit you out in less than 6 months. Sorry to say, but in this industry, if you lack education, knowledge, people skills, sales skills, motivation, passion, integrity, care and a specialised niche, just to name a few, you will never last.
Over the years as a personal trainer I have congregated a list of 15 different traits that are essential in moulding a Personal Trainer who is regarded as knowledgeable, professional and experienced by his peers and clients and remains in demand all year round.
- You genuinely love and care about people – All people!
- You are genuinely interested and thoroughly enjoy helping others
- You are eager to learn and love learning new things: You are more than happy to ask questions, research, read and write until you completely understand something. You believe that if you stop learning you die.
- You understand the importance of being coached, having a mentor or an idol and can take criticism constructively.
- You are an active listener and have a high emotional intelligence – You know when to listen, talk, offer empathy, motivate and push etc. without having to ask.
- You are approachable and often find yourself being asked for help and guidance.
- You always try to lead by example and enjoy being a leader though you are never over the top, smarmy or inappropriate when in the spotlight.
- You are person of integrity and your word – if you say you will do something, you do it, no matter what. You always practice what you preach.
- Health and fitness is a passion and you put 110% into your own health and fitness. You train regularly, eat healthy and put looking after your body at the top of your priorities.
- You are meticulous with keeping and tracking results and have systems in place for everything.
- You admit to mistakes and will happily say “Sorry I don’t know”
- You understand that everything is about marketing….EVERYTHING!
- You manage time exceptionally well, are punctual and organised.
- You are a technical disciplinarian and try being as close to perfect with everything you learn.
- You understand that you must create or specialise in a niche and have a unique selling point if you are to be successful in this world.